So these two images are from the same original image, but obviously processed very differently. A few days ago, I pulled this image from a folder and made a version, then another, and that is what I have been doing ever since. I have ten different versions of this image. I would say six so far succeed in the sense that they look completely different. Four of them are too similar to others.
For these versions of Breanna, I have used a variety of methods including: textures, collage, composites, painting (in PS), and many, many layers. Some images have 20+ layers. All have multiple textures. Most of those textures are altered in PS. I get the textures online for free. There are dozens of free texture websites, but it can be time consuming to find what you are looking for. Sometimes I use a piece of a texture instead of the whole thing, but other times I use it all.
Anyway, it is interesting to me that I can create so many different images from just one source. I have a few more to finish up for this portrait series and then I plan on starting another one.
O Christmas tree!
I do not have my Christmas tree up yet. I was considering getting a real tree, but I just don’t think it would survive for very long with my two cats and Cuddles. I have this scene in my head of Cuddles chasing one of the cats, and the cat climbing up the tree, and Cuddles attacking the tree to get the cat out … you can fill in the details of what happens next.
Today, I had to turn in my final project for the dark room class. I made an object. It is a pop-up/collage book with my prints and a poem inside. It has 9 pages, a page for nearly every line in the poem. I may do a little video on my iPad this weekend, because photographing it is sort of pointless … it’s interactive. Some prints have a cut-out where you can see pieces of another image a few pages underneath. Some have flaps that open and you can read a line of the poem inside. There is also magazine clips, quotes, and a photograph of Dr. Ruth. I had to present it to the class.
Anyway, I got an A on it, but my professor also critiqued my “crafting.” That was definitely very challenging for me. My cutting is sloppy and the parchment paper wrinkled when I tried to glue it down to the matting. I did cut the matting myself. I experimented with adhesives, like spray, clear glue, and rubber cement. I even used an X-Acto knife. That’s a big step for me. I also sewed together a little pouch with a button (there is a piece of paper inside it with a line from the poem), and I used cloth and metal rings to bind it.
I will probably try and make more of them. It was fun and it gives me something tangible to do with my prints. I will just have to do some research on the best adhesives to use for different kinds of material. Hopefully, I’ll get better with the crafting part.
Anyway, classes are officially over for me and my study is a mess. Time to clean it up. Cuddles wants to come in and hang out.
I was on my way to Starbucks this morning when I spotted this truck in a parking lot. I just couldn’t resist. The green really stood out among the barren branches and fallen leaves. I also have a thing for older model trucks. I’m not sure why, but I like the body style better than the newer models.
I have been working on my final project. My study is a mess. Cuddles is not allowed in my study right now and she is not happy about this at all. What I am struggling with most on the project is the making part. Conceptually, it is fun and I’m enjoying integrating the different components. It’s the physical “crafting” that is difficult for me. The cutting, attaching, assembling. I sort of feel like this part will get easier if I decide to do more of them, though.
New Backdrop & Stand!
1. I have a new backdrop and stand! I was supposed to get this weeks ago, but the company I ordered from took their sweet time. Anyway, I’m happy to have it. It will be very convenient for photographing bodybuilders next season. It is also portable and it took me less than 15 minutes to assemble–probably wouldn’t have taken that long, but they gave me no instructions whatsoever and I am not really the “assembly” type. I’m thinking with practice it should take ten minutes, tops. It will solve a few issues in my study. I always have to work around this nook, which is a bit narrow. The backdrop stand extends to 15 feet. The white backdrop in this photo is 10 feet across. I have enough room to extend it the full 15. This will give me six extra feet to work with, which is nice. I plan on getting a nice wider lens this winter, maybe a 28mm. Plus, I can take the backdrop with me places, and I will be able to do different kinds of outdoor shoots. So, it was a good investment. I’m happy with it.
2. I have canned the Christmas story. I just can’t get into it.
3. I have been thinking about doing a 2013 calendar with photos of Cuddles. I would have to get it done pretty soon, though. I was thinking that I would offer it for sale and donate all the profit to a pitbull rescue–so it would be a non-profit venture. I’m not sure yet how to go about it, but I am going to contact a few people and see if a plan comes together. I took Cuddles for a little walk this morning. Unfortunately, Cuddles is not a “morning dog.” In fact, she is still sleeping right now. She wakes up early to go to the bathroom, but then she goes right back to sleep … and she usually sleeps in until about noon. Then she gets up and wants to eat.
4. Today, I am headed to the darkroom to work on my final project. I will post my final project on the blog after it is turned in and graded. I am kinda excited about it. It’s a different thing for me, sort of–it’s photos, but also an “object.” I may explore it more this winter if I enjoy doing it. Yesterday, I printed a few of the camp photos. That’s what I will be working on today too.