Jack bought me this succulent. This is also my favorite outside chair. Today, I bought three beardtongue plants. I was at the greenhouse and the beardtongue was the only plant with a bee on it. It is tall and pretty. Maybe tomorrow I will take a photo for the blog.
I swear, sometimes the title of a post is so difficult. I have sacrificed a few posts for lack of a title. I have several nameless and forgotten drafts buried in the archives. When I am really struggling for a title, I reach behind me and grab a book of poetry. Sometimes it helps to read a few poems. Today, it worked, but not without flipping through a few books. I love Baudelaire, but he is not so great for title inspiration, unless you want something like, “Get Drunk!” or “Don Juan in Hell.” Anyway … Cavafy to the rescue.
I tried a dozen textures on this image, but I preferred it without one. I did add the design on top. I used a calligraphy brush for that. I am using different types of brushes more often, especially when blending a texture or a layer. A different brush can give the blend a more interesting look. But this was a simple b&w conversion with typical adjustments. I added the design after trying on endless textures, painting, and deciding against each one. I liked the clean and smooth background. It just flows better with her pose and the tones. I was undecided about the calligraphy stroke and almost decided against it too, but in the end, I liked its quirkiness.
I planted four blueberry bushes and I already have berries! I had to buy a few different varieties so they could pollinate one another. The berries are sweet and delish.
The plants are still quite small, but I guess they will grow to about 3-4′. I planted them along the side of the fence near the knockout roses.
I am back to working on “versions.” For these images, I use one source image and alter it with textures, composites, collage, and painting in photoshop. I have been doing more composites with Caroline’s versions. Both of the backgrounds here are photographs of mine and then I paint in textures. The colored image has three different textures. The black and white has two textures. I use various blend modes with the textures to get different effects. I am just fascinated by the idea that I can create numerous images from one source image. Of course, by the time I get done I am really using several images. I used a portrait of Breanna in my first experiment with versions. I ended up making 15+ versions and narrowed it down to nine.
Tomorrow I am photographing Christina. Hopefully I will get a shot that I can use for my next set.